We had SUCH an amazing week!
On
Thursday, we had a lesson with Xochitl and her family (the ones we put
on date for baptism a couple of weeks ago!) and we met Chantal, who is
17 and SUPER sweet! We had never met her before, so we invited her to
join in on our lesson and she did! By the end of the lesson (we were
reviewing the Restoration), Chantal's focus was fixed on us and we could
tell she was feeling the Spirit! We asked her if she wanted to be
baptized with her mom and sisters and she said yes!!
On
Saturday, we had the Stake Women's Conference, which was so good!
Xochitl and Chantal weren't able to come, but Fabiola did! She took
notes during all of the classes and absolutely loved the lesson on
forgiveness!
On Sunday, we
went by Fabiola's to make sure she could come to church, but she wasn't
feeling well, so we were sad she couldn't make it.
BUT, Xochitl and her family (Chantal, Evalet, Jennyvive, and Ethan) all
came! They were in their Sunday best again and each had a Hymnbook in
their lap! Even though they didn't know any of the hymns, they still
tried to sing along, which was SO cute! They all stayed for Sunday
School/Primary and loved it! Afterwards, we asked Xochitl how she liked
Sunday School. She said, "Oh, it was great! I'm just a little sad,
because I know how important family is, and I just want my husband to
come to church and be baptized with us..."
We assured her that the Lord would give us a miracle and soften her husband's heart, in His own due time.
On
Monday, we went back to Xochitl's house, planning to review the Plan of
Salvation. Right as we sat down, Juan (Xochitl's husband) walks in the
front door! We had NEVER even met him before, so we were super excited!
We introduced ourselves and asked him if he would like to join us in the
lesson. I was expecting him to say "No thanks", but he actually said
yes! All 6 of them sat down on the couch and we started reviewing the
Plan of Salvation - when we talked about the Celestial Kingdom and
making covenants with God, we asked Juan if he would like to be baptized
with his family...and he said no. He said he had already been baptized
into a different church, so he didn't need to be baptized again. Hermana
Shumway and I looked at each other, back at him, and then boldly
testified of priesthood authority and making covenants that will last
through eternity. Then I asked him,
"Will
you be baptized by someone who holds the authority of the power of God
so that you can take the steps necessary to be together with your family
forever?"......and he said YES!
I
literally teared up a little bit, I was just SO happy! When we closed,
we asked who would like to give the closing prayer. Xochitl quickly
said, "I'll say it!" She immediately gave the sweetest prayer of
gratitude I've ever heard! She thanked God for answering her prayers,
softening Juan's heart, and making it possible for their family to go to
the temple together someday and be sealed! As Hermana Shumway and I got
in the car, I started crying for real and was just so overjoyed that
the Lord had answered Xochitl's prayers! God is SO good!
I've still been studying the Topical Guide: Jesus Christ in my personal studies, so here's an excerpt from Saturday's study:
-TG: Jesus Christ, Only Begotten Son
-Jacob 4:11 - "Wherefore, beloved brethren, be reconciled unto Him through the Atonement of Christ, His Only Begotten Son"
-Word Web: define reconciled
----adj: made compatible or consistent
--Because
we all make mistakes, we make ourselves "incompatible" with God
(because no unclean thing can enter the kingdom of Heaven)
--If
you tried to put a VHS tape into a CD player, it wouldn't work, right?
Even if you REALLY wanted it to work and REALLY tried your hardest, it's
still not going to work. Even though God loves us SO much, it just
wouldn't work for us to come into a clean place if we were unclean!
--We
can't just change a VHS tape into a CD, but Christ's Atonement CAN
change us and help us become celestial beings that can dwell with God!
So, we need to reconcile ourselves/make ourselves compatible or
consistent with God's character through the Atonement of Jesus Christ!
I
invite you all to find a way to become more compatible with God - it
can be something super small, but I promise it will make ALL the
difference! As you rely on Christ's Atonement to help you change and
become better, you'll be able to see yourself progress and become more
like our Heavenly Father, line upon line, precept upon precept, here a
little, and there a little.
Love you all and have an amazing week!
- Hermana DeWitt
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.